SARETEC trains and qualifies wind turbine service technicians for the South African Wind Energy industry with recognised SAQA qualifications.
Renewable Energy sources, like wind, are gaining increasing prominence. The growth of the industry in South Africa has prompted the demand for skilled workers (including wind turbine service technicians).
Wind turbine service technicians are responsible for the service, maintenance, and repair of wind turbines. They inspect, diagnose and maintain, adjust or repair wind turbines, resolving electrical and mechanical malfunctions. They are able to work at heights in all weather conditions, including extreme cold and heat, for extended periods. Wind turbine technicians must be capable of working closely with other individuals.
5 months course work and 2 months in-service training at a wind farm
- Wind energy technology
- Health and safety
- Wind turbine electrics
- Wind turbine mechanics
- Rotor blade repair
- Control systems
- Artisan qualification in any of the following electrical / mechanical trades
- NQF level 4 qualification Electro-Mechanics
- NQF level 4 qualification Mechanical Engineering Millwright
- NQF level 4 qualification Mechatronics
- NQF level 4 qualification Fitter and Turner
- Or a National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics or Electrical engineering-subject to RPL
- A high level of fitness and good health
- Ability to work at height